WORK SMART: USE YOUR BRAIN AND BEHAVIOR TO MASTER THE FUTURE OF WORK
CHAPEL HILL, NC
2023 – PRESENT
Authored debut non-fiction book on the role of behavioral science, psychiatry, psychology, and neuroscience in the workplace. Work Smart is about how we can use an understanding of human brain and behavior to infuse humanism into our workplace today.
HEALTHCARE IN ACTION
LOS ANGELES, CA
2022 – PRESENT
- Virtual consultant on mental health and substance abuse issues in homeless population.
- Virtual educator for clinical field teams on a variety of topics including De-escalation, Adult ADHD.
CHIEF PATIENT OFFICER
NEW YORK, NY
2021 – PRESENT
Led development and oversaw implementation of company’s fully integrated care model to improve engagement with complex d-SNP populations. Co-designed and executed de novo mission, vision, and culture for start-up organization. Positioned as a cross-functional strategist to rapidly grow and scale MOC with new business development.
- Developed company’s first care management model, which led directly to flagship partnership with MVP Health Care of NY.
- Provided strategic guidance to company’s C-suite; involved closely with clinical, care, and sales teams.
- Helped secure $40 million in Series A funding in late 2021.
- Led design and development of distributed workforce; helped company achieve an overall Employee Engagement score of 92% in 2022 with high marks for leadership and management.
- Recruited, hired, and onboarded key clinical executives including Chief Clinical Officer (Dr Ramon Jacobs-Shaw, Modern Healthcare’s 2022 Top 25 Diversity Leader) and SVP of Care Management (Natasha VanWright).
- Led development of Mental Health Connector – disruptive care delivery model for complex patients with comorbid medical and mental health illness.
- Worked with CEO to observe group dynamics, discuss psychology behind patterns and decisions, advise on scalable improvements to increase effectiveness, efficiency, and nimbleness throughout the company
CEO / FOUNDER
CHAPEL HILL, NC
2021 – PRESENT
Guided a diverse group of organizations as they rethink the healthcare industry from the group up. Key interventions and solutions included:
- Providing strategic services to clients as they shift into value-based care.
- Coaching clinical leaders into higher-level work, including a focus on behavioral science and change management.
- Acting as thought partner to design and scale disruptive clinical programs
COMMITTEE ON HEALTHCARE FINANCE AND SYSTEMS
AMERICAN PSYCHIATRIC ASSOCIATION
2019 – 2022
- Co-led INDEPENDENT PRACTICE WORKGROUP developing position statement around clinical oversight of NPs and PAs.
- Analyzed guidance document for APA legislative team related to COVID VACCINE for patients with mental illness and
substance use disorders supplying seamless and prompt COVID guidance to psychiatrists.
- Co-led DRUG PRICING WORKGROUP establishing priorities for APA legislative team around drug pricing.
CHIEF BEHAVIORAL HEALTH OFFICER / STAFF VICE PRESIDENT, CLINICAL EXCELLENCE
CAREMORE + ASPIRE HEALTH
2019 – 2021
Managed team of 6 senior physician leaders. Led clinical practice of team of 50 Behavioral Health (BH) clinicians and mentored 6 physician leaders outside of direct reporting line. Designed and executed high-yield Clinical Care Pathways and didactic programming for 400 generalist and specialist clinicians.
- Advised SLT on strategy around value-based whole-person care in 11 states with goal of improving operating gain by 8%.
- Led shift to 80% to 100% virtual care for 50 BH clinicians in 7 days at onset of COVID in 2020.
- Constructed 3-5 KPIs for each specialty driving outcomes and growth.
- Designed and executed Integrated Care Models in advanced primary care homes in 5 states with anticipated ROI of 6:1, improving access to high-quality care for patients with mild to moderate depression and anxiety.
- Redesigned BH data set and reports with focus on decreasing high risk BH utilization; lowered psychiatric inpatient bed days by 25%.
- Executed multiple cross-functional collaborative initiatives with Utilization Management, Case Management, Data Analytics, Digital Health, and Pharmacy boosting Behavioral Health virtual visits by 800% in 6 months.
- Advised Business Development around Behavioral Health for new contracts in 3 states aligning financial incentives with proper BH care model, thereby saving money in value-based system.
- Advised Communications / Marketing and spearheaded 3 external-facing events, assisting tens of thousands of Medicare patients with their mental health needs during COVID.
PRESIDENT / VP / CO-CHAIR – PRACTICE TRANSFORMATION COMMITTEE / CHAIR – TECHNOLOGY COMMITTEE
NORTH CAROLINA PSYCHIATRIC ASSOCIATION
2017 – 2021
- Developed NCPA strategic plan for 2020 – 2023 in collaboration with NC Medical Society Leadership College.
- Minimized patient and mental healthcare provider exposure to COVID19 through organizing COVID19 Emergency Psychiatry Committee, online resource, and weekly meeting series.
- Initiated monthly remote fireside chat series for members, gaining peer support.
- Hosted 2019 NCPA Annual Meeting with record attendance of greater than 200 psychiatrists.
DEPUTY CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER
COMMUNITY CARE OF NORTH CAROLINA
2015 – 2019
Served as Behavioral Health leader for organization serving 6K providers and 1.7M patients across state of North Carolina.
- Created and performed practice support strategy for Medicaid Integrated Medical Homes, reducing hospital admissions by 27% and readmissions by 59% (2016 data).
- Designed and implemented federal CMS Practice Transformation Network collaborative improving quality of care and decreasing cost in North Carolina.
- Developed multiple educational programs and 3 BH practice toolkits for medical homes and case managers improving provider satisfaction while reducing need for specialty referrals to community.
- Analyzed pharmacy and utilization data for Data Brief #8 “Emergency Department Use Among Medicaid Patients with Schizophrenia: The Impact of Medication Adherence”.
2012 – 2013
- Consultant on mental health and substance abuse issues in homeless population.
OWNER / CEO / PSYCHIATRIST
COGNITIVE PSYCHIATRY OF CHAPEL HILL, PLLC
CHAPEL HILL, NC
2010 – 2019
Managed health care team of medical (max 9), psychotherapist (1), and administrative (3) staff
- Constructed and implemented business model, documentation, communications, billing, technology, marketing, and recruiting strategies, growing to serve 600+ patients.
- Performed outpatient evaluation, psychopharmacology, and psychotherapy for adolescent, adult, geriatric psychiatry and substance abuse, directly driving revenue and referrals while boosting patient satisfaction for organization.
2010 – 2013
- Trainer to nursing and CNA staff state-wide and at local hospitals.
2010 – 2013
- Behavioral Health consultant for new Electronic Health Record (EHR).
2010 – 2012
- Consultant, speaker, writer on dementia education and treatment.
- NORTHWEST COMMUNITY CARE NETWORK, Winston-Salem, NC, Network Psychiatrist
- SOLUTIONS CSA, Burlington, NC, Medical Director
- TURNING POINT FAMILY CARE, Durham, NC, Medical Director
- CENTERPOINT LME, Winston-Salem, NC, Interim Medical Director, Consultant
- DOCTORS MAKING HOUSECALLS, Chapel Hill, NC, Chief of the Division of Psychiatry
- PROJECT FOR PSYCHIATRIC OUTREACH TO THE HOMELESS, New York, NY, Psychiatric Consultant
- WEST HAVEN VETERAN’S HOSPITAL, West Haven, CT, Research Assistant
- Hardy, M., Jackson C., and Byrne, J. (2018) Antipsychotic adherence and emergency department utilization among patients with schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research 201: 347-351
- Fan, J., Byrne, J., Worden, M.S., McCandliss, Guise, K.G., B.D., Fosella, J., and Posner, M. I. (2007) The relation of brain oscillations to attentional networks. The Journal of Neuroscience 27(23): 6197-206
- Johnson, J.L. and Welsh, J. P. (2003) Independently-moveable multielectrode array to record multiple fast-spiking neurons in the cerebral cortex during cognition. Methods 30(1): 64-78
- Detke, M.J., Johnson J., and Lucki, I. (1997) Acute and chronic antidepressant drug treatment in the rat forced swimming test model of depression. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology 5(2): 107-112
Professional Societies and Licenses
- CHIEF, Founding Member (2021 – Present)
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (2010 – Present)
- Medical Licenses: North Carolina, New York, California, Arizona, Nevada, Tennessee, Virginia, Texas
- American Psychiatry Association (distinguished fellow)
- North Carolina Medical Society, member and HCLM (Health Care Leadership and Management) alumni (2018 – Present)
- American Telemedicine Association, member (2018 – 2020)